Legislation that may impact the chemical enterprise comes before Congress on a regular basis, and ACS is committed to keeping its members informed and encouraging them to weigh in on high-priority issues.
One of the main ways we do this is through Act4Chemistry.
Act4Chemistry — ACS’ legislative network — is a suite of programs and tools that allows members to become involved in advocacy at the state and federal levels. It provides support to individual members, local sections, state committees, and other groups. Individual members can become involved at different levels of commitment and increase their strengths as advocates by joining advocacy groups.
Currently, Act4Chemistry gives over 15,000 ACS members an easy, effective way to voice opinions to legislators. It is one of the most effective groups in the ACS. In 2008, Act4Chemistry members sent 11,500 letters to policy makers on issues like science and math education.
Act4Chemistry focuses primarily on federal science education and R&D policy, but also addresses environment, workplace, and technological competitiveness.
Tools & Resources to Help Members Take Action
Members can communicate directly with their legislators at the state and federal levels on pre-selected issues or compose their own message. Contacting legislators has never been easier!
Members receive timely Action Alerts roughly 8 times per year via e-mail urging them to contact their legislators on issues of concern to ACS members. The alerts include:
- Background & status of the issue
- ACS position
- Sample letters
Group Advocacy Programs
Members can increase their involvement with advocacy by joining Local Section & State Government Affairs programs which allow members to work together to plan and carry out face-to-face meetings with policymakers at the state and federal levels.
- Members of Congress support funding for Rural STEM Education Infrastructure | 05/20
- Over 180 Members of Congress support emergency funding for research | 04/20
- ACS asks Congress to support chemistry in COVID-19 stimulus | 4/20
- ACS joins STEM community letter for Higher Education Act | 11/19
- ACS comments on EPA's proposed changes to emissions standards | 10/19
- ACS joins with other groups calling for additional CSB Nominations| 10/19