Foster Innovation through Research and Technology
Strong support for chemistry and other R&D is central to our nation’s global competitiveness, productivity, defense, public health, energy security, and environmental progress. Although the engines of innovation are largely in private hands, the federal government provides a significant majority of all support for basic research. This investment fosters new knowledge, industrial innovation, and the training of future scientists and engineers. Government plays a key role in fostering a healthy climate for innovation through tax policy, international standards, intellectual property, and other incentives
ACS supports efforts to
- Promote sustained federal investments in R&D, science infrastructure, and industrial innovation to enhance U.S. global competitiveness.
- Accelerate the development and commercialization of new technologies that promote national goals in
- energy independence,
- environmental sustainability,
- national and homeland security,
- human health, and
- associated science and technology jobs.
- Foster U.S. tax, trade, economic, and regulatory policies that improve the competitiveness of U.S. entrepreneurs and companies.
- Strengthen the ability of worldwide legal systems to cooperatively encourage innovation through intellectual property protection.
- Encourages policies which improve the quality and consistency of granted patents, as well as the efficiency of the patent process.
- Urges policymakers to support information technology upgrades to the Copyright Office,
- Support sustainable Open Access initiatives.
- Promotes consistent application of trade secret protections.
Science & Technology Funding.
- Urges policymakers to restore investments in federal R&D funding to levels nearer to 1.2% of GDP.
- Recommends strategies to ensure federal dollars dedicated to R&D are used as efficiently as possible.
- Recognizes the function of federal S&T funding in educating future scientists and supports federal agency investments that are coordinated, complimentary,
- Broaden participation of underrepresented groups in STEM fields
U.S. Business Climate
- Supports a fair and level playing field that enhances competition and stimulates research and development.
- Supports policies that foster the growth of small research and development businesses and encourage entrepreneurship.
- Supports efforts to foster U.S. corporate tax and trade policies that will support American firms' competitiveness in the global business atmosphere.
- Supports reforms to the U.S. regulatory and intellectual property frameworks that will promote and minimize impediments to innovation