Advance Sustainability and the Environment
Science can lead to better understanding of new solutions to many of society’s problems including environmental and health issues. In order to achieve this, the best science should be available to, and used by, government officials when making decisions.
To achieve confidence in government decisions that depend upon science and technology, science must be considered in an open and responsible manner.
ACS supports efforts to
- Encourage environmental decisions that promote sustainable resource usage and waste prevention in an economically viable chemical enterprise.
- Foster the development and adoption of green products and processes by industry, academia, and government.
- Assure appropriate, balanced use of voluntary and regulatory measures in achieving environmental, health, safety, and security goals and promote the responsible use of science in environmental management.
- Encourage appropriate global harmonization of environmental, health, and safety initiatives to promote science and technology around the globe.
Chemical Risk Assessment and Regulatory Decision Making
- Supports risk assessments based on sound science and protective of human health and environment.
- Supports the commercial chemical enterprise providing the information necessary to conduct risk assessments while protecting confidential business information.
- Encourages green chemistry and engineering to support sustainability goals
- Encourages comprehensive research and workforce development to ensure the sustainable development of domestic supplies.
- Urges investment in research and development efforts and funding for recovery and recycling of critical materials.
- Promotes updating U.S. funding mechanisms to support interagency collaboration and outreach.
- Recommends conducting research on fracking and
- its impacts from a life-cycle perspective,
- its uses compared to replacement resources,
- methane emissions at fracking sites,
- causes and extent of groundwater contamination,
- less hazardous fracking fluids, and
- characterization of and methods for treating and disposing of liquid returns from fracking.
Water Treatment and Conservation
- Supports US government action that develops water-use guidelines and initiatives;
- Encourages advancements in water reduction, treatment, and reuse technologies;
- Protects groundwater resources; and
- Prevents discharge of toxic substances into ground and surface waters.