Instructions for Authors
Please read the information below to review guidelines that could help to make your recommendation letter stand out.
- Applicants designate their own letter writers while applying online.
- Letter writers will receive an email from online fellowship application process with instructions for submission.
- Recommendation letters must be uploaded before the application deadline (January 8, 2025, 11:59 Eastern time zone). The Applicant will not be able to submit their application as final until two recommendation letters have been received. The Applicant can monitor the status of the recommendation letters (“Pending” or “Complete”) in the application system. Letter Writers are urged to not wait until the last moment to submit their Recommendations.
- Reference the applicant's first and last name at the top of the letter.
- Please note that the letter must be signed, on company/university letterhead, and be saved as a PDF.
Letters of recommendation are extremely important in the application review process for the American Chemical Society’s Public Policy Fellowship Program and should address:
- The applicant’s technical accomplishments and relative standing among their peers
- The applicant’s interpersonal and communication skills, including experience communicating effectively (orally and in writing) with non-technical audiences
- The applicant’s maturity, judgment, and leadership
- The applicant’s interest and experience in the public policy process
Recommenders should keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Be familiar with the ACS Public Policy Fellowship Programs. Know whether your applicant is applying for the ACS Congressional Fellowship, the ACS Science Policy Fellowship, or both. More information about the ACS Public Policy Fellowship Programs can be found on www.acs.org/policyfellow.
- Make clear how long you have known the applicant, and in what context. You should directly address why and how the applicant fits the criteria for the ACS Public Policy Fellowship Program.
- Use vivid, concrete examples. Evidence of how you have directly observed the strengths and accomplishments of the applicant is very helpful.
Thank you in advance for the time and effort you put into writing this recommendation. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the ACS Public Policy Fellowship program manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.