The Education subcommittee helps fulfill the larger Committee on Chemical Safety's mission by producing and updating materials about safe chemical practices for educational facilities.
The subcommittee works primarily on larger, more long-ranging publications and educational projects. The subcommittee also continuously monitors the CSS publications and brochures related to education for needed updates.
- Revision of “Safety in the Elementary Classroom”
- Revision of existing brochure. Collaboration with NSTA possible.
- Translation of “SACL-8” into other languages.
- Current efforts: Arabic, Spanish. Others to be considered Chinese (Mandarin), Portuguese, and Indonesian (Malay).
- ACS Online Safety Modules
- Some members are providing assistance in this project (led by Neal Langerman).
Collaboration Space (login required)
Past Projects and Publications
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories, Eighth Edition
Best practices for first- and second-year university students
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories, Eighth Edition - Arabic Translation
- Collaborations with Division on Chemical Education on the Demo Guidelines
- Support to organizers of the 2019 Central Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society
- Collaboration with Committee on Professional Training (CPT) on the content related to chemical safety education in the CPT Newsletter
- Programming at the upcoming NSTA Regional meetings and Biennial Conference on Chemical Education