Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Scholars
Browse meetings, workshops, short courses and symposia
Professional Development & Networking
- Six Steps to a Postdoctoral Position in the Chemical Sciences That Is Right for You
Learn how to be intentional in your search for a postdoctoral position and how to find one that aligns with your career and personal goals.
- Catalyzing Career Networking (C2N)
Communicate your career goals during your research presentation at an ACS National Meeting.
- ACS Technical Divisions
Take advantage of opportunities in your discipline! Look for networking opportunities, awards, and fellowships as you develop leadership and team-building skills with professionals in your field.
- Younger Chemists Committee
Grow and increase your involvement in ACS at all levels through professional opportunities for younger chemists and professionals.
- Graduate Student Symposium Planning Committee
Plan symposia for ACS national meetings while developing leadership skills and a professional network.
- ACS Webinars on Scientific Writing
Learn how to improve your scientific writing skills, write better abstracts, capture attention with your research proposals and more.
- And Gladly Teach
Receive tips and advice from this complimentary resource book for chemists who are considering an academic career.
- ACS Career and Professional Development Postcard
Peer review is the practice of subjecting scholarly work to the scrutiny of experts in the field, with the goal of validating and improving the content prior to publication.
- ACS International Center
Learn about international research experiences that have the potential to shape your career.
Reports on Graduate Studies in Chemical Sciences
- 2013 ACS Graduate Student Survey
See the results of a survey of graduate students in the chemical sciences. Questions focused on career goals and preparation, quality of relationships with adviser(s) and peers, resources, funding and overall satisfaction with graduate school.
- ACS Presidential Commission Report on Graduate Education
Read the report which focuses on the purpose of graduate education in the chemical sciences and addresses important societal issues as well as the needs of graduate students.
- Natures Guide for Mentors (Nature)
- Effective Mentoring: Reap the Rewards Without Getting Bogged Down in a One-Sided Lab Mentoring (Graduate and Postdoctoral Chemist)
- When You Need a Mentor (Graduate and Postdoctoral Chemist)
- Making the Right Moves (Chapter 5): Mentoring and Being Mentored (HHMI)
- Choosing an Ideal Mentor (ACS)
- Mentor Training to Improve Diversity in Science 1: A Conversation on Culturally Aware Mentoring (NRMN)
- Mentor Training to Improve Diversity in Science 2: Resources to Enhance Culturally Aware Mentoring (NRMN)
- Not Networking 101: Building Relationships for Success (iBiology)
- Mentoring International Postdocs: Working to Advance Science & Careers (Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia)
Chemical Laboratory Safety:
- Guidelines for Chemical Safety in Academic Institutions (Short booklet that teaches researchers at all levels about basic principles and procedures of laboratory safety, ACS)
- Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories (Best practices for first- and second-year university students, ACS)
- The Safety Zone (Blog about chemical safety, Chemical & Engineering News)
- Joint Safety Team (Example of a student run initiative that enhances the culture of safety in chemical laboratories, University of Minnesota)
- Habit of Mind, Culture, and Safety (Graduate and Postdoctoral Chemist)
- Depression in Graduate Studies-How common is it? (by Drs. Matthew Hanson, David Golden, and Philippe Buhlmann, University of Minnesota)
- Depression in Graduate Studies, What are the Signs? (by Dr. Gary Christenson, MD, University of Minnesota)
- Depression in Graduate Studies-Awareness, Prevention, and Early Intervention (by Dr. Matthew Hanson, University of Minneapolis)
- My Story-Depression in Graduate Studies (by Dr. Christopher Cramer, University of Minneapolis)
- Preventing Suicide (Graduate and Postdoctoral Chemist)
- Preventing Suicide on Campus (Graduate and Postdoctoral Chemist)