Lesson 3.6: Temperature and Density
Youtube ID: BLocZDEr5mA
Hot Water on Cold Water
- In the hot (yellow) water, the water molecules are slightly further apart than in the cold (blue) water.
- The hot water is less dense and floats on the cold water.
- When the cold water is placed on top, it sinks in the hot water.
Cold and Hot Water
- The molecules in hot water move faster and are a little further apart. When the water is heated, the level moves up slightly in the graduated cylinder.
- The molecules in cold water move slower and are a little closer together. When the water is cooled, the level moves down slightly in the graduated cylinder.