Lesson 6.4: Temperature and Rate of a Chemical Reaction
Molecules Collide and React
- For molecules to react, they need to collide with enough energy.
- If molecules hit with too little energy, they can just bounce off without reacting.
- If they collide with enough energy, bonds can break and new bonds can form in a chemical reaction.
- The reactants just sit there until energy is added with the flame.
- The added energy is enough to make molecules move fast enough to react.
- The energy produced in the reaction is enough to keep the reactants breaking bonds and making new bonds.