Community Interaction Grant
Due to public health guidance around large group gatherings during the pandemic, this grant is closed to submissions until further notice.
Many studies point to the under-representation of minorities in the sciences. The Community Interaction Grant supports ACS Student Chapter projects and interactions that help improve the science learning experience of African American, Native American, Hispanic/Latino and Pacific Islander students, as well as economically disadvantaged students, in grades K-12.
ACS Student Chapters are eligible to receive up to $500 to support community interactions and projects from the ACS Student Communities Office. Grants are awarded each year to ACS Student Chapters that provide K-12 minority students with enriched hands-on science activities and give ACS student members an opportunity to enhance their skills as future teachers and mentors.
To be eligible for a Community Interaction Grant, chapters must:
- Be a chartered ACS student chapter with active status
- Have obtained matching funds
- Must have submitted a final report for any Community Interaction Grant awards within the last 3 years
- Available only to domestic chapters (United States & Puerto Rico)
Your project should seek to:
- Actively involve K-12 students, their teachers, and/or parents in hands-on science activities, as this a critical time for children to learn and become enthusiastic about the chemical sciences.
- Enhance the involvement of your ACS student chapter in hands-on science education activities specifically targeting underserved minority children.
- Strengthen the network of your ACS student chapter to interact with ACS local sections and other community groups.