Division Innovative Project Grant
Vision and Purpose
The ACS Divisional Activities Committee (DAC) funds new Division projects through Technical Division Innovative Project Grants (IPGs). This program encourages Technical Divisions to create innovative projects that will serve the Division members.
When you apply for an IPG, you will be prompted to enter your ACS ID to access the online grant application.
** The 2020 Spring Cycle proposal deadline has been extended to February 15. **
The following types of projects are eligible for Innovative Project Grants (IPGs):
- Projects new to the applying Division
- Projects intended to “seed” new ideas
- A project that engages current Division members and helps to recruit new members
- Pilot projects to be continued by the Division
- Joint projects promoting collaboration between divisions, and between divisions and local sections (see Local Section IPG)
- A project for a unique upcoming opportunity for the Division
- A strategic planning project. Note: Please apply for strategic planning projects using the separate Strategic Planning IPG Application.
February 15 Deadline (Spring Cycle)
- Proposals submitted by February 1 will be reviewed at the Spring ACS National Meeting, and may be awarded, denied, or deferred to the Fall cycle to maximize resources.
- Funds for awarded Spring cycle proposals will be transferred to Division treasuries no later than May 1.
July 1 Deadline (Fall Cycle)
- Proposals submitted between February 2 and July 1 will be considered during the Fall review cycle, and will be either funded or denied.
- Funds for awarded Fall review cycle proposals will be transferred to Division treasuries no later than December 31.
- Clear statement of project’s goal and innovative aspects.
- Brief project background.
- Detailed budget clearly justifying the funding amount requested.
- Details of additional funding sources for the project, if applicable and project budget exceeds requested amount.
- Support letter on Division letterhead, signed by current division chair. If the applicant is the division chair, the support letter must be signed by another executive committee member. The support letter must also include a brief status report for any currently ongoing division IPG.
- Signed letters of support from cosponsoring Divisions, Local Sections, Committees, or other community groups, if applicable.
- Divisions must not have overdue Annual Reports, or outstanding IPG reports to be considered for a grant.
- A Final IPG Report must be submitted at the conclusion of the project.
Joint Division Applications
- Each division should submit an application clearly stating the division's role and budgetary requirement in the project
- Provide signed letters of support from all participating divisions
- Intended for not more than three divisions per application
- Maximum $7,500 for a single project
- Maximum $12,500 for a joint project of two or more divisions
- Funding of up to two active IPG projects per division, not more than $12,500 within a calendar year
Limited funds from the Leadership Advisory Board (LAB) will be available for strategic planning retreats carried out during the 2020 calendar year. The available 2020 LAB funds are intended to supplement strategic planning IPGs submitted in Fall or Spring 2019 and will be awarded in consideration of the division's financial need. Not all divisions are eligible for this supplemental funding. Your division must meet the following conditions:
- It must not have previously engaged with the Leadership Advisory Board to facilitate a strategic planning retreat
- It must agree to use a Leadership Advisory Board facilitator to conduct the retreat
- It must agree to conduct the retreat in 2020 at a mutually convenient time of the year with the LAB facilitators
What is Required After Award?
- Funds must be used to support the proposed Division project.
- Funds must be expended within two years following receipt of IPG funding.
- A final report describing the use of funds and the effectiveness of the project is required within three months after conclusion of the project.
- Final reports must include a poster for presentation at a subsequent ACS national meeting Sci-Mix session, and posted on the ACS Technical Division Innovative Project Grant webpage.
- PLEASE NOTE: A funded project is considered active until a final report is submitted.
What Will Not Be Funded?
- Honoraria, cash awards, or for creating endowments.
- Events/projects that have taken place prior to the proposal deadline.
- Continuing an existing program or project in the Division.
- Travel and registration requests to nonACS meetings.
- Contemporaneous events with the meeting where the funding decision is made.
- Divisions are eligible for not more than one Strategic Planning IPG in any 5 year period.